Friday, October 9, 2015

Styx Defensive System Description

I'm trying to streamline my car descriptions and I'm finding that my special category, 'Defenses' has this standard, and unweildly, description about how I want the dischargers to work with bumper triggers and the laser reactive webs.  So, in the same way I've created the Styx Laser Paint Array, I'm now making the Styx Defensive System as part of the shorthand in my car write-ups.

It will appear with an asterisk as "Styx Defensive System*" and the asterisk will refer to a line, under the full entry, to explain: "* Styx Defensive System = 6 Smoke Dischargers linked to 5 laser reactive webs (F, B, R, L, T; covering tires of those sides as well) & 4 bumper triggers (to oil & also linked to that side's weapons)"

I hope this works to make the car entries more readable.


Design Notes - Some further notes about this may be necessary.  I have introduced over the years (this blog has been around since August 27, 2007) many new nifty ways to design cars.  Example of innovations are: (1) the use of 2 pts of Metal armor underneath to be an easy FP armor option for FOJ and the like, (2) the importance of dischargers, component armor, and armor sloping, (3) fire extinguishers are a renewed obsession, (4) emphasis on the highest HC possible,  (5) putting more armor on sides, given their easier targetability, as opposed to my 2037 designs (based on SJGames themselves) which made more armor on front & back (probably because of highway scenarios while I mainly design for generic arena fighting), (6) almost complete elimination of my early-obsession with ramplates, and (7) very recently, I've started seeing HD brakes as a new necessity (more on that in another entry).

The introduction of the laser-array and the bumper triggers was sparked by reading the forums.  Basically, the laser-array linked to the smoke dischargers (and taken to an extreme in the Styx Laser Paint Array) would protect against laser guided rockets.  The oil dischargers linked to bumper triggers on all 4 sides would help get a last-shot for ramming cars who will hit at any side.  The bumper trigger would apply a D2 hazard to the rammer (against the evidently flexible laws of thermodynamics) and could possible cause them to fail a control roll, giving me a chance to go out like John Wayne.

Outside of the dischargers - which are desirable in and of themselves - the added system costs $950 = 5 laser webs ($500) plus 5 links to the specific smoke ($250, I fudge this a little because I'm not entirely clear on whether the web needs an added link, and how to set it up to the 6 smokes), plus 4 bumper triggers ($200).  That $950 could be better spent on other things, e.g. HTM, HD brakes, FP Comp. armor, etc.

No comments: