Sunday, September 2, 2007

Suggested Rules: Hatchbacks

Earlier, in my discussion about cargo spaces I suggested that new rules could be added for making a car a hatchback. Here are my suggestions (which are experimental as of yet; I will try to playtest it out).

Experimental Parameters: Hatchbacks

I am not applying some of my fanciful ideas to make cargo spaces actually important (I'll try to emphasize my case on the established message boards); these parameters are to apply the same rules that convert a luxury into a station wagon.

A luxury has 19 spaces and is structurally equivalent to a station wagon which is 21 total, 17 usable and 4 strictly for cargo.

1. The rule I will start with is that making a standard body style into its 'hatchback' version will add roughly 10% to size (10% of 19 spaces is 2 for this purpose) and the cargo space will need to be, exclusively, 20% of total body (e.g. 4 spaces of the 21 space station wagon).

Body // Original Size // New Configuration
  • Subcompact // 7 // 6(+2)
  • Compact // 10 // 9 (+2)
  • Midsized // 13 // 12 (+3)
  • Sedan // 16 // 15 (+3)
  • Luxury // 19 // 17 (+4) - i.e. a station wagon
  • Pickup, Camper, Van, Trikes - does not apply

    2. Advantages of Hatchbacking
  • Even without my variant rules for cargo, hatchbacking adds space. Simple.
  • The duelling advantage is that with the elongated space, these bodies advance into the next higher body category for body accessories. So a hatchback subcompact would be the size of a compact for the purpose of 1 space turrets and a hatchback compact would now allow a 2 space turret.

    3. Other rules - hatchback cargo cannot be converted into passenger space.

    My test case will be The 2057 version of The AMC Gremlin.
  • No comments: