Monday, December 9, 2013

Replica: The Blues Brothers' Bluesmobile

Intro: As I described in my replica of "Copperhead Road" one of the first super-cars of my imagination is the Bluesmobile (from my favorite movie, The Blues Brothers). It's described by that Wiki page as
"a 1974 Dodge Monaco sedan ... a used Mount Prospect, Illinois police car ... equipped with the Magnum 440 squad car package that was offered by Dodge for the Monaco." And to quote Elwood: "It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."
Online, some dude named "Le Zerp" thought the same way I did, and made his version, listed below.  Alas, its different from how I pictured the car, but also it seems not to fit the Car Wars rules.

Le Zerp (www.krikkit.dk) Bluesmobile MK II 6-6-2001 - Sedan, Hvy Ch., Hvy Sus., 400 cid IC (no mods), 5 gal duel tank, 1 driver, 3 passengers, 4 PR radial tires, ramplate, rollcage, searchlight, ABS, "defekt cigaretlighter" tinted goggles, 80 pts composite armor 30 Metal, 50 plastic, F 10/12 B 8/6 RL 6/8 T 0/6 U 0/6; Acc 15, top 120, cruise 72.5, HC 4, Max Weight 7650 lbs?? current weight: 6209, $19,815
  • Design Notes - I can defend his decisions even though I'm not going to use them.  He's right on the engine size, metal armor, searchlight, cigarette lighter, and sunglasses.  While I would love to think the Bluesmobile has a ramplate & rollcage, I don't know if the original did and I will make 2 versions, with and without.  But why make the car a 'sedan'?  If that ain't a luxury, nothing is.  
Styx Bluesmobile (Optimal)
Type: Luxury, Chassis: Xtra-Heavy, Suspension: Heavy, Engine: 400 cid IC engine (Tubes/Blue/VP/Spr) (22dp), 15 gal. dueling tank (8dp), Tires: 4 Radial-Steelbelted-Solid Tires (14dp), Crew: Driver & 3 passengers; Weaponry: ramplate; Weighted Accessories: Active Suspension, rollcage, IFE, HD shocks, searchlight, external Sound System, Unweighted Accessories: HD-antilock brakes, Overdrive, broken cigarette lighter, LDR, magic jump jets, Dischargers: none, Defenses: none Wheel Armor: none Component Armor:  none Cargo: 1 space, 40 lbs; 24 pts Metal Armor: F 6 (ram) B 5 R 5 L 5 T 1 U 2; HC: 5, Acc. 25 (Overdrive 12.5),  Top Speed 150 (170), Cruising: 90 Weight: 6560 lbs. Max 6600, Cost: $50,470.00 (new)

Design Notes
  • As stated above, this optimal version has the best engine in the 400 range. I retained the idea of a roll-cage - which police cars could have for all I know - and ramplate (which could be similar to the "nudge bars" and/or "Pursuit Intervention Technique (PIT) bumper."  
  • I added an IFE because I was optimizing and I had space...
  • Elwood's description was fulfilled thusly: "cop tires" = steelbelted radials (I used solids for the optimized although the 'real world' would be HD); "cop suspension" = Heavy Sus. plus Active Suspension (I wish there was a "cop suspension" but that could actually be the same as Heavy-Active); "cop shocks" = best I could think of were the HD shocks plus the best brakes.

The other accessories - as proven by the film - were:
The Searchlight (in a deleted scene):
The Sound System (external)
The top speed acquired (150) sounds right:

The magic jump jets (I could add real ones but [a] they were magic in the film, and [b] for the life of me, I have no idea how to make those in CW):
Exhibit B:
Exhibit C:

Styx Bluesmobile (Real to Movie)


Type: Luxury, Chassis: Xtra-Heavy, Suspension: Heavy, Engine: 450 cid IC engine (Blue/VP/Spr) (24dp), 17 gal. dueling tank (8dp), Tires: 4 Radial-Steelbelted-HD Tires (8dp), Crew: Driver & 3 passengers; Weaponry: none; Weighted Accessories: Active Suspension, HD shocks, searchlight, external Sound System, Unweighted Accessories: HD-antilock brakes, Overdrive, broken cigarette lighter, magic jump jets, Dischargers: none, Defenses: none Wheel Armor: none Component Armor:  none Cargo: 1 space, 220 lbs; 36 pts Metal Armor: F 8 B 8 R 8 L 8 T 2 U 2; HC: 5, Acc. 25 (Overdrive 12.5),  Top Speed 162.5 (182.5), Cruising: 97.5 Weight: 6380 lbs. Max 6600, Cost: $44,025.00 (new)
  • Design Notes - I made the engine 450 to be closer to the 440 in the description.  I felt that a cop engine would at least be blueprinted, no? No tubular headers because those are visible.  I decided to accept a turbocharger and the supercharger because they plausibly could be in cop engines (my ignorance is my strength).  I reduced the tires to HD and removed the ramplate and rollcage, expecting the metal frame to basically duplicate those functions.  Everything else is basically the same.
Proof for no rollcage:

No comments: