Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Variable Fire Rocket Pod Cars




My latest design, Protactinium, was to flesh out the concept of having a Sedan with a VFRP & HRSWC to compete in Div20 (or if possible 15). Now, the Car Wars VFRP was introduced after my heyday (1987, when I was in junior-high), but in terms of 20th century weapons, it made sense. 

Yet the VFRP cost/weight/space ratio is offset by the low to-hit. To make rockets valuable, they either need to be in low-price cars (because everything is hard), ramming designs (+4 to hit), or laser guidance (which is insanely pricey for 30 rockets)

I also have a weakness for putting things in turrets, which means vans or campers, both which have their major vulnerabilities.

Anyway, before I add to the VFRP pile, I should catalog - just for my own benefit - my previous designs.

The existing cars
  1. Protactinium, Div20 Sedan, front facing VFRP with HRSWC
  2. Corps, Unlimited Van: smartlinked VFRP in 3sp turret & front, ITL & LGL with Hires targeting computer, gas engine
  3. Battlestorm, Unlimited Camper, VFRP with mag in 3sp turret, ITL & LGL with cyberlink
  4. Palladium, Unlimited Van, C/A frame, 3 space pop-up cupola with HR & ITL & LGL smartlinked to VFRP front, HRTC
  5. Armydillo, RPG Van (because this has passengers), VFRP in 3sp turret, SWC
  6. Blowout, Div70 Van, VFRP in 3sp turret, 4 RL (2 front, 2 back), all TL & LGL, smartlinks, HRTC
  7. Osmium, Div70 Camper, VFRP in 3sp turret, LGL & HRSWC {Div30 option removes LGL}
  8. Atlas, Div60 Van, VFRP in 3sp turret, ITL & LGL, HRSWC
  9. Fenrir, Div50 Luxury, RL with mag in turret, VFRP front & back, TL & LGL for all 3, all smartlinked (BTW, this is a mess!)
Six of nine designs (4 vans & 2 campers) have the VFRP in a 3sp turret, 1 van that's a concept car with a pop-up cupola, but nearly all of them have a smartlink between targeting lasers. My most recent, Protactinium, is the only real low-price entry. Which is where I need to go.

Also, I think I can update my 3 MML designs to at least have the VFRP variant (as that was the whole point of introducing the weapon, no?)

Images: The above gif is a real world VFRP in a tank-killer helicopter. The below image is somehow SJG idea of the future weapon which is both bad art and implausible substitute for the real thing.

No comments: